Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Cornfest 2011

Family Tradition- Cornfest.

The 3rd Saturday of each June is Cornfest in my hometown. This has been common knowledge my whole life. It's put on our calendar at the beginning of each year and we plan our events around it. It's when my hometown blocks the downtown street so we can have corn cob games, kernel spitting contests, and vendors selling homemade crafts. A carnival is set up for the kids a few days in advance and the big day of Cornfest. We even have a street dance at night with a live band.

I loved growing up in a small town. I don't think I would have said that as a child, but looking back I am thankful for the years. Nothing can replace the feeling of going back each year and seeing the same faces I have come to know so well. Even though I have been gone for 10 years, they treat me like I never left. Tim and I have been going back each year since we have been married and now with our little one. It's such a joy to see my little girl doing the same traditions I did as a child. I love family traditions.




Getting set up for the "big" Holland Parade.


The horses were amazing in Neela's eyes. She stared wide eyed and in amazement of how big they were.



Neela made her first "Sand Man" at Cornfest. She had a blast pouring the sanding in the funnel to the glass bottle. Tim and I ended up helping her toward the end because she was taking so long. :) The joy of an independent child. :)


We spent our yearly Cornfest afternoon at Joey's, chilin. :) It was fun this year because Neela was able to hang out and chill with Nayan and Sanjay. She always has so much fun with them.



Father's Day with the grand kids. My Dad was one happy camper! :)

No comments: