Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Joplin

It's been two weeks since my trip to Joplin with North Village Church , partnering with Soma Community Church, and my thoughts continue to go back to the images of the devastation intertwine with hope. These past few weeks people have asked me about our trip and my experience. I can't help but start every time with, "It was overwhelming."

I have never physically witnessed a natural disaster. Yes I followed the news when Katrina hit and the tsunami and other natural disasters, but to see the destruction with my own eyes broke my heart.

What was most shocking to me was when we entered the town of Joplin,the town continued to function as a "town". Stop lights, cars on Main St., restaurants opened, and even the YMCA still up and running. (I am thankful it was not hit b/c that is where volunteers and our team took showers while we were there.) The middle of this town was completely wiped out, but they continued to press on. This alone sweetly reminded me of the mighty Love of our God and He is our God who is in control of all things.

Even before I left for the trip, Psalm 104 was on my heart. The first time we drove through the area that was hit by the tornado, Psalm 104 reminded me, God created all and is in control of all. Psalm 104 shares how God created every detail on this earth.
v.5 "He set the earth on its foundation, so that it should never be moved."
It continues to explain how God appointed how high the mountains will be, how low the valleys, how the grass to grow, that will He bring forth food from the earth, the rocks will be a refuge for the badgers, the moon will mark the seasons, and how God provides for the animals.

My favorite verses are:

27 "All creatures look to you
to give them their food at the proper time.
28 When YOU give it to them,
they gather it up;
when YOU open your hand,
they are satisfied with good things.
29 When YOU hide your face,
they are terrified;
when YOU take away their breath,
they die and return to the dust.
30 When YOU send your Spirit,
they are created,
and YOU renew the face of the ground.

31 May the glory of the LORD endure forever;
may the LORD rejoice in his works—
32 he who looks at the earth, and it trembles,
who touches the mountains, and they smoke.

33 I will sing to the LORD all my life;
I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.
34 May my meditation be pleasing to him,
as I rejoice in the LORD.
35 But may sinners vanish from the earth
and the wicked be no more.

Praise the LORD, my soul.

Praise the LORD."


This just speaks to my heart in so many ways. I am reminded that God is in control.

This earth is not my home. So many times I try to make it my home, but am quickly dissatisfied with the pleasures of this world.

God showed me so much on this trip and definitely stretched me physically to do the labor work we did. If you know me at all, I am a wimp, but I pressed on. :) Just wanted to share a little of my heart.

I enjoyed the relationships I built and am thankful for the memories we shared.


Just a small picture of the mass of destruction there.


A house.


The roof part of our team put on in 2 days. They were awesome!


I helped demolish a kitchen.


We sorted debris at a home.


Our team!

1 comment:

Tawnya said...

Thank you so much for everything that you and the rest of the volunteers have done for our city! Joplin is strong and we will and are rebuilding with thanks to you and the countless other volunteers! God bless you :) WE ARE JOPLIN STRONG!