Thursday, August 11, 2011

Becoming a Woman of Influence


This week North Village Church finished our summer ladies study. We went through the book Becoming a Woman of Influence by Carol Kent. This was my 3rd time to read this book and I loved it so much more this time around. I have read it in different seasons of my life (single just out of college, married and about to start a church, and now 2 years into planting a church) and the truths have impacted me in each season in different ways.

This book is a really simple read with straight forward truths from scripture. We can influence others around us, anytime of the day and in any circumstance because of God's presence in our lives. So often we don't see ourselves as women of influence because we are not on a stage in front of a lot of people or we don't have a dynamic personality. God created you and gave you specific gifts to glorify Him and to love others as He loves us.

Each chapter is a different "principle" to influence others around us. I have been challenged to see every opportunity with others to share what God is doing in my life. It can be the praises of joys in your life, it can be wrestling through truths and circumstances in your life, or a flat out hard season of life. Regardless of the season, God is moving. He is using you for His Name sake. He is sweetly speaking to your heart.

I struggle to believe this truth at times. I am not witty, smart, eloquent with my words but God is not asking me to do this in my own strength, I need to rest in Him. I desire to abide in His love (John 15). I know I was dead in my sins, a child of wrath (Ephesians 1:1-3), BUT God. (Ephesians 2:4-10) But God, who is rich in mercy and love saved me. He save me by His grace. He gave me life everlasting. Nothing of my doing so I may not boast. I get to be his workmanship. Wow. I get to be a part of what He is doing in the lives of people around me.

His ultimate vision for my life is a relationship with Him. This truth is the foundation of all relationship and situations in my life.
What is God's vision for my marriage? (Ephesians 5)
What is God's vision for being a parent? (Psalm 127) (Ephesians 6)
What is God's vision for me as a friend? (Ephesians 4)
and so on...

Praying for my heart to grow in this area of my life.




No comments: