Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Birth Story

Ok, so this is a little late, but better late than never right? Our sweet baby boy is 6 weeks old and is doing great. He is sweet, attentive and always looks like he is in deep thought. It's so adorable. 

I was told to make sure I write down my birth story because I will soon forget all the details and I do not want to miss any due to this crazy experience. 

My first child's labor was by the book: smooth , on my due date, short, and memorable. Sequence of events: My water broke, I took a shower, labor for 4 hrs (dilated 2cm before labor) with the epidermal, pushed 30 minutes and our daughter was here. This time was very different. 

I wake up around 3:45am with my stomach bothering me. The baby shifted alot at night, so I assumed that's all it was. Well, the cramping started to be a little more consistent so I get out of bed just to be more awake and alert.  I start cleaning our house by picking up toys and straightening up. The pain in my stomach started to get more intense so I  timed the contractions to see how far apart they were. Yeah, So they were 4 minutes a part!!  At my doctor's appointment the day before, the doctor said to be at the hospital when contractions were 7 minutes a part due to me being almost 4 cm dilated and my first labor going so fast. EKK!!! I woke Tim up and told him I think I am in labor, I called the doctor and let them know the situation. After that, I called my friend Holly to head on over to be with Neela. 

On our way to the hospital, Tim ran through every stop sign and red light as he prayed for the labor and our baby. We get to the hospital and I had to stop often to Endure contractions by bending over and yelling out a bit. (umm yeah, totally like the movies)  When we arrived on our floor we checked in with nurses who took their time, or it seemed to me. They put us in a room and asked me to put on a gown that was literally like a sheet, I couldn't figure out how to put it on!! As we are trying to figure it out, a major contraction comes and do as I'm fighting through the contraction, Tim thoughtfully tried to maximize the time by helping me change. Well, I turned into a crazy lady and very aggressively told him to stop and pushed him a but. Yes, I was that crazy lady. :) Tim was a trooper and endured my craziness and we I finally got the gown. 

The next few moments I will never forget... The nurse came in to check my progression and said I was completely dilated and I'm about to meet my baby. I said, oh! Well, I need the epidermal." and she said, "Honey, it's too late for the epidermal." what!?! I lost it at this point and proceeded to cry, stated over and over "I can't do this", and continued through contractions. As they wheeled me to the delivery room and I'm still saying "I can't do this", a nurse grabs me and says, "You can do this and you are about to do this." she gave me a few pointers and started to get the room ready and called for the doctor. All of a sudden I  felt pressure and tell the nurse I think I need to push. Now I have never researched how to have a natural birth because it was not an option to me, but it's amazing how God has designed our bodies to know what to do. All of a sudden I felt pressure and told the nurse I think I need to push now. She freaked out a bit because she was not ready and the doctor was not there. Well, a few seconds later the doctor came in, I pushed 3 times, and met my baby boy for the first time. All within 15 minutes of being at the hospital, he was born.  What an amazing experience! I am thankful for this gift of life from the Lord. He doesn't have to let us be a part of this process of life entering this world but He does. The joy of a new life, it's just a glimpse into the love our Father has for each child of his who is a new creation in him. 

Craziest experience of my life. Ashwin came 1 week early with a grand entrance. 

Ashwin was 6 lbs 15 ounces and 19 inches long. Healthy, beautiful, and attentive. :) 

1 comment:

Cookies on the bottom shelf said...

Congratulations & welcome Ashwin! See, you COULD do it all natural! I had my first two natural. Now I can say it was a good experience--Intense, but good. I know you are glad that is over, and you are back at home adjusting to a family of 4! Blessings on you all!