Thursday, August 7, 2008

Prayer does a Life Good



"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God."
Philippians 4:6


So I know it was "burning up" hot outside yesterday, but I have not exercised in a few weeks and thought today would be as good as another other day to get active again. So I went running down Swiss Ave and walked a little on my way home.

As I was walking back I was just thinking about my errands for the day and being cautious of my surrounding because I am a girl and I just have to do. Suddenly I was distracted by a skinny homeless man on the other side of the road pushing a shopping cart over flowing with too many trash bags. Right away my heart went out to this man I have never met or knew anything about. In that moment I wish I had some money or food I could have given to him. I just felt so helpless and useless seeing the needs of this man and not being able to do anything. The only thing I had to do on his behalf was pray for him. So I lifted him up to our Creator and Savior.

So as I continued walking, I prayed for this man's heart that the Lord would show him His grace and love, protection from people and this world, and for God to provide food and shelter for him. I prayed for someone to tangibly show him love and provide him with food. I then started to pray for understanding of why people have to suffer like that. I just thought it was unfair. (Which I know we are all undeserving of everything, but in this moment my emotions and here and now distracted me)

Just as I felt my heart turning frustrated at this truth and my thoughts starting to build on top of each other, the Lord softened my heart with a voice audible voice saying "Hey!". I turned around to see a man who walked out of his apartment complex, saw this homeless man in need, and offered to give him some food if he could wait for him to run back to his apartment. THANK YOU LORD!!! God answered my prayer in 30 seconds! Tears filled up my eyes right then and there. Here I was starting to doubt God because of this sad world and He opened the eyes of my heart to see He is faithful, in control, and loving.

I know God was telling me not to worry about my life. I let doubt fill my heart and give no room for God to move. He has a plan to use us for His Glory and I can rest in this truth. Just as He provided for the homeless man, He will provide and take care of His children. I need to talk to Him more, share my heart and He will reveal His Will.

This summer we have had different types of opportunities with opened doors and had opportunities that the doors closed. Sometimes I get discouraged and distracted by the closed doors, I forget to rejoice and be thankful for the opened doors and God's blessings. I am so thankful that through all situations the Lord is drawing me closer to Him.

"Looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne."
Hebrews 12:2

1 comment:

Lacy Harrelson said...

What an amazing testimony to God's faithfulness and His desire to truly hear our prayers. I loved reading your realizations and thoughts on your own prayer life. So often I want to 'grasp' prayer and wrestle with questions/doubts I have surrounding the idea of prayer. I want to be content with knowing that prayer is resting in the presence of God...exactly where we are mosty at home...freeing me up from demanding complete understanding without any doubt. Thanks for encouraging me...and prompting me to think and desire more of our God!
Love,
Lacy