Thursday, June 12, 2008

Crazy

CRAZY: A Father’s Search Through America’s Mental Health Madness was one of two finalists for the 2007 Pulitzer Prize in nonfiction. Since its publication, Pete has visited 26 states speaking about the need for our nation to reform its mental health system and stop the imprisonment of persons with brain disorders.

I recently read Crazy by Pete Earley and loved it!! My desire to help people with mental disorders has increased due to this book. I see people with mental disorders not as scary, but as people in need to feel normal.

I have worked in the mental health field for the past 2 1/2 years and truly have a passion this field. Adults, adolescents, and children who have ADHD (attention deficit hyper-activity disorder), ODD ( oppositional defiant disorder), MDD (major depressive disorder), bipolar, and schizophrenia and need medication training, community skills training, or community resources.  That's where I come in!

This book truly portrays the reality of families who want to help their family member or friend with a mental disorder. Because of individual rights and guidelines clinics and hospitals must follow, it is very difficult for the family. I am always on the clinicial side of these situations so it was eye-opening to see crisis moments through the eyes of a loving parent. I learned so much about the neglect of medication and therapy treatment in our jail system. Our society definitely needs to work on that.

No matter where I work in the future, I will always have a heart for people this book talks about. Read it!! It's great!

No comments: