Monday, November 11, 2013

Thankful Day 10- Glimpses of Grace


I recently read this book and loved it!  My heart was convicted and pointed to the gospel in the mist of my sinful and selfish heart.

This book "Glimpses of Grace" by Gloria Furman is about treasuring the gospel in your home.  Being a stay at home mom right now, my selfish heart struggles to serve all day and not having a lot of down time for myself.  I sound so awful right now, but it's the true state of my heart at times.  Gloria Furman points our hearts to what scripture says about glorifying the Lord in the mist of our mundane task around the home and our duty of the never ending changing diapers.

God's grace and presence is in every area of our lives.  He is glorified and made much when we seek to know Him more and to know He is our Savior, Redeemer, and purpose we live for.  I love how she uses so much scripture to point us to the gospel.  It's not just her being witty and great with using her words, which she is, but loads this book with theology and truth my heart is desperate to hear.

She addresses how so often we feel like life has to be perfect to pursue Jesus or to even glorify him.  But we are called to glorify him in the mist of life, struggles, discouragements.  Our home will never be clean enough, our kids will never be "good enough", our dinners will not be "tasty" enough.  We will have people see us in the mist of our messiness and what a beautiful opportunity to point overs to the Jesus who sustains our life.

I am thankful for the time I have with my children and even in the mist of a hard day, this book has taught me how to point my heart to the gospel.  I have the life I have because the sacrifice Jesus paid on the cross for my freedom.  Because I have experienced true love and grace, I am given the ability to extend the same to my children and my words to be filled with love and grace because of Jesus.  I was dead in my sin and now alive in Christ.  This is life I have the privilege of sharing with my children on a daily basis.  What a privilege.

Here are a few gems from the book. 

-Scripture my heart is dwelling on, "Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Jesus Christ." Colossians 3:23, 24

-"Spiritual disciplines serve as gateways to cherishing the gospel, not as substitutes to the gospel."

-Two Purposes Jesus used Parables: "1. To reveal things. 2. To emphasize the point that his teachings were concealed form people who did not understand the things of God."

-"Treasuring Christ changes us. Faith looks back at the cross and agrees with Jesus who said, "It is finished." My debt has been paid and my sin is forgiven because Jesus paid it all.  I am reconciled to God through the death of his Son.

-"What we need more than clean hands is a clean heart. God is the only one who can purify us: "Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow... Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me" Psalm 51:7, 10

-"The greatest nightmare of shame is the fear of being found out. But the gospel turns this fear into an occasion for joyful celebration at the foot of the ross. We will be free from the controlling effect of shame only when we are repenting of our efforts to cleanse ourselves and rejoicing in the saving blood of Christ instead."

These are just a few gems from this book.  I highly recommend this book!

So thankful for this book, "Glimpses of Grace."

"Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Jesus Christ." Colossians 3:23, 24


No comments: