Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Thankful Day 17- Today's Message

Pastor Mark, taught the last of the 10 Commandment services.  This commandment is the only commandment that deals strictly inward not outward actions.  No one can see you coveting in your heart.  If you want someone's home, job, family, personality, or gifts no one can SEE this in your outward appearance. 

I don't think of my self as a covetous person, but when I start to look in my heart, I see this is true in my life.  When I am finding my identity in my the pursuits of this world, my heart is often discouraged and finding satisfaction in my abilities and not who Christ is and who I am in Christ.

Scripture says, "Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks".  Wow.  what do I talk about the most?  What does my heart dwell on most of the day? The heart is stated 900+ times in the bible.  Our heart is a big deal to the Lord.  

I need to fix my affections for the Lord not for things around me.  I need to set my heart for the things of the Creator and not the created.  

Coveting hurts God: God gives us the law as an extension of God's love. 
 
"As for the rich in this resent age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy." 1 Timothy 6:17

This convicted my heart.  The Lord is my heavenly, loving Father who gives me riches to enjoy and my heart does not always rest in this.  He is enough.  He is my identity. He is my hope.  Why do I look else where?  Why do I let me heart go astray?  

Coveting hurts people you love:

"What causes quarrels and what causes passions are at war within you. You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask.  You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions." James 4:1-3

These fights we are waring within our hearts and they eventually show eternally.  Because we are coveting others, we end up fighting with them because our hearts are not pure towards them and we are desiring what they have or have put an expectation on them.  Be sensitive to the Lord's leading and know what his word says.  Keep our eyes fixed on him and know where you are letting sin rule your hearts.  Confess and Repent to the Lord.

Coveting hurts people you could love

God reminds us to love others where they are at and not because of what they have and who they are.

"...It is more blessed to give than to receive." Acts 20:35

Crushing coveting with contentment

"Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content." Philippians 4:11

"I can do all things through him who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13

God is enough. He paid the price and we are given life. God continues to sanctify us through revealing areas of our life we are not giving him ultimate control, we confess these areas and repent.

Take Away from 10 Commandments

1. God is an amazing Father
2. Jesus is incredible and perfect
3. He sent the Holy Spirit

No comments: